Based on the history and the age of the woman the doctor should investigate the following causes of abnormal uterine bleeding:
- The cause could be due to early pregnancy events. This could happen in a normal pregnancy or could be an evidence of miscarriage or even ectopic pregnancy.
- Problems linked to some birth control methods, such as an intrauterine device (1UD) or birth control pills
- Infection of the uterus or cervix
- Uterine fibroids
- Problems with blood clotting
- Certain types of cancer, such as cancer of the uterus, cervix, or vagina
- Chronic medical conditions (for instance, hyperthyroidism and diabetes).